Saturday, December 29, 2007

WTF?

So we decided in March 2007 to permanently move to Australia from South Africa. It's December 2007 and we're here now, so I decided to share some info around our experiences.

WTF is for 'Where to Find...?', 'What the F...', Why the F...', etc... ;-)

I'll let you know What To Find, What they tell you, and especially, what they don't tell you!

I know there's loads of info out there about Aus, but I thought I'd compile it into one place about the stuff that worked for me. I hope it's useful to someone...


Disclaimer: This is based on my individual experiences. I'll mention companies by name and recommend what I found worked - or didn't. Do your own research and use common sense when considering my view...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am 40, married with 2 dependants work in IT in SANDF (army).
We are so desperate to move and we started looking for ways to do this.
My Question is, do I first try to find an IT related job in AUS or do we first obtain a visa and do we get a work visa?

Australia.WTF said...

Hi, sorry for the delay - just saw your msg. First prize is a job in Australia so that they can sponsor you on a work visa - this takes around 2 to 3 months to process. They're not always keen to sponsor, cos they have to commit to your employment for 4 years. Second prize is to apply for a permanent residence visa, which takes about a year. There's loads of IT jobs here at the moment, depending on your specific skills. Look at www.careerweb.com.au. www.seek.com.au or www. recruit.com.au - Sign up for the daily job alerts so you can get a feel for salaries, skills they need etc... salaries are very good over here. Good Luck.